Every parent tends to worry about summer brain drain when kids are happily frolicking during the average 104 days of summer vacation. However, there are ways to help kids retain some of the knowledge that they gained during the previous school year.
Summer is definitely a time for fun but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t encourage your kids to keep their skills sharp and top notch. Most kids have iPads or iPhones, so, while they are on their devices anyway, download these five apps that are both educational and fun.
1. Operation Math This app turns math drills into a global adventure. The app takes players around the world as they embark upon timed missions involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The app is recommended for kids ages 7 and up.
2. Stack the States This app is great for the geography students. Helping kids learn about the 50 states, players go beyond just naming them and learn capitals, shapes, geographic locations, flags, and more. This app is recommended for kids ages 8 and up.
3. Toca Lab: Elements This app definitely puts the chemical element of fun into summer! Players will discover and learn about all 118 Periodic Table elements. So warm up those Bunsen burners, put on those lab coats, and explore the wonderful world of science. This app is recommended for kids ages 6 and up.
4. Reading Raven This app takes children on their own personal reading adventure where they will find fly-eating frogs, caterpillars that turn into butterflies right before their eyes, circus acrobats, and more all while learning basic reading skills. This app is recommended for kids ages 3 to 7 years-old.
5. Busy Water This app will help STEM become more of an easier reality than not by encouraging critical-thinking through fun puzzles based on physics. Each level will challenge kids to develop problem solving skills in addition to being able to create their own levels though a build mode. This app is recommended for kids ages 6 and up.