Working from home for many is a win-win situation. But, when you have children in the home, it can turn into more like walking on egg shells. You have to find a balance between being mommy and colleague. It can definitely be overwhelming, but it is do-able! Here are five tips that you must know if you are a work-from-home parent!
1. Make the best use of nap time. Nap time is really the best time to get some work done. When the kiddos go down for the count, you can get your second wind and completely focus on what needs to be done. Nap times provide you with uninterrupted focus and complete silence.
2. Implement a schedule and follow it. Working from home requires flexible planning and discipline to make sure that things actually get done, but if things come up, then plan B won’t be too far off of the radar. Sit down with everyone and create a structure that works best for what you need to achieve.
3. Have set work hours. If you plan on working from home from 9-5, then work from home from 9-5. Do not get into the habit of working all of the time just because you are not in the office.
4. Hire some help. Just because you are at home, doesn’t mean that you can’t have some help come assist. Hire a part-time babysitter or nanny for a few hours so that you can get some truly uninterrupted time in.
5. Start your day earlier than the kids. Get up earlier than your little ones and get ready to start the day. While they are stilled nestled in their beds, plan out your day, look through emails, get a few assignments done, but before anything, make sure that you enjoy your first cup of java while it is still hot.