In today’s society, it is germane to raise a young girl with a kind of strength that blossoms as she grows into a woman. With so many negative external things that they will face, it is important that they have a solid foundation to expand upon. As mothers are the first teachers of their little girls, here are five things that you must not do if you want to make sure that you are raising a strong girl.
1. Do not limit her interests based on gender. Who runs the world…girls! Make sure that your daughter knows that and understands that there is nothing that she can not do! If she wants to do robotics instead of ballet, let her. If she wants to play with trucks instead of Barbie, let her do that too! Encourage her to explore what she is interested in no matter whether or not it is something that is traditionally meant for a boy or not.
2. Let her ask all the questions that she wants. Do not dissuade your daughter from asking all the questions that she wants, how else is she going to learn? The key to becoming a strong intellect is to question, question, question!
3. Don’t limit her sense of style. If she wants to rock a power-pant suit instead of a dress, let her. Your daughter’s creativity in non-traditional dress may lead her straight to the runway as head of her own fashion line.
4. Don’t solve her problems. Listen, give advice, but don’t solve her problems for her. Problem-solving skills are something that will not only help her as a child but will make her superwoman in the future. Let her know that you are not raising a damsel in distress, she doesn’t need to be saved!
5. Don’t encourage her to let bullies slide. Bullying is a serious problem in the world today. If your daughter encounters a bully, let her know that it is ok to speak up and out for herself. Make sure that she knows that she is safe and supported. Someone has to stand up to the bully, why not your daughter? Let her know that adults are bullied too.